Bourns made the long trip for the first of two visits to Cornwall as Redruth were next up. The match day squad included two debutants who came off the bench who were front rower Ollie Stone and winger Will Aylen.A strong wind was present which blew all game which went against the famous slopping pitch. Redruth had first use of the wind and aided by a flurry of early Bourns penalties, they had field position and after some forward drives the stand off Jordan Gott found a gap and converted his own try. Bourns then came into the game with a strong scrummage and line out performance that had the home side on the back foot. Number 8 Jonjo Fanning crashed over and Jacob Fewtrell converted well against the wind to tie things up at 7all going into the second quarter.The home side lost a centre to a yellow card for repeated team infringements and Bourns exploited the space as Owen Williams made a try for flying winger Nathan Decalmer which Jacob converted. Bourns then tasted yellow as flanker Chris Idehen sat out 10 minutes after a skirmish. Gott scored his second try in similar circumstances to his first try which he converted that again tied the scores up. Bourns hit back again as Second row Ben Meakin end up at the bottom of a driving maul which went un converted. Bourns then conceded two penalties at the end of the half in their own 22 being guilty of playing too much rugby in that area to give the home side a narrow 20-19 half time lead.Bourns once again got into penalty trouble early on in the second half and Nick Murphy had to take a yellow card. The defence held out for a while but winger Charlie Levick scored in the famous Hellfire Corner which went un converted. Bourns were playing well but didn’t really use the wind to gain field position. However just before the third quarter ended another home yellow for the flanker galvernised the Bournville attack and Bourns stretched the defence for Nathan Decalmer’s second try in the corner well converted by Jacob which gave a one point lead for Bourns.As the game entered the last quarter, Bourns suffered two yellows, one for prop James Burgoyne, the second was for Chris Idehen who was ruled to have made a high tackle and got his second yellow. Redruth kicked to the corner and after a few drives, Gott bagged a drop goal with the insurance of an advantage penalty to make it 28-26 to the home side.Bourns camped on the line but couldn’t get the elusive touch down. With five minutes to go, Bourns had a penalty wide to the right but the wind intervened aided by a collective home crowd exhale and the ball shaved the posts.Bourns outscored the home side 4 tries to 3 and the collective feel post game was one that got away. Plenty of positives for the young side which will turn into wins surely…Next up is a trip to Loughborough Students who are level on points with Bourns at this time.It was great to see the team come over to the travelling support at the end of the game to thank them for making the trip which was well appreciated.

Latest News