Like a lot of Brummies over the years, Bourns made their last journey on the M5 South for this season to Weston-Super-Mare to take on Hornets looking for that elusive away win that had thus far eluded them this season.

A good band of travelling support including the under 14’s touring side were on hand to watch proceedings unfold.

With a stiff breeze to contend with blowing across the pitch, the game started and there were ominous signs for the Hornets scrum as they were shunted back. However from their first piece of possession from a line out, the home backs created space on the left wing, and Norman scored, but pulled a “hammy” in the process. The wind took care of the attempted conversion. On the quarter hour, Bourns had a couple of five metre scrums. Having already infringed at scrum time, the referee went under the posts for a penalty try. Two break down penalties were conceded by the home side and Rhys Williams slotted one of them.

Both sides were infringing and both sides were warned a yellow was coming and one duly did to the Hornets loose head at scrum time, but Hornets got the last score of the half as their backs exploited space in the 12/13 channel and Carter scored, so half time 10 a piece.

Bourns camped in the Hornets 22 from the re-start and another break down penalty saw the home tight head have a 10 minute rest. No surprise a scrum was chosen, but there was a knock on at the base and Hornets ran it back for Francis to score after some phases. Jonjo Fanning made amends driving over from close range and Jacob Fewtrell returning from the bench after injury slotted the extras, making it 17-17. Both sides ran the ball but the home side were more accurate at times where Bourns were trying longer passes to wing speedsters Nathan Decalmer and Alex Evans leaving not a great deal of space.

More indiscipline saw two more shots at goal for Bourns, Jacob hit the post with the first go, but slotted the second, which was quickly followed up by a Jay West try who collected a chip ahead which Jacob converted for a Bourns lead 27-17.

The home side got their try bonus from a decent move with Shepard touching down in the corner which was well converted. Jacob got another penalty for a six point cushion but 6 minutes into injury time, Hornets had a five metre line out which they won, but Bourns got a drive on and strangled the maul and forced a turn over, then queue celebrations as the first away win was secured 30-24.

Star man was tight head Stef Thorp.

Mick Palmer

Through the Viewfinder

Lee Sullivan


What a great day that was! A close encounter in the first half and a point in the second where it looked like Hornets had found their sting, only for Bourns to turn on the style and come away with a much deserved win.

That was the 2nd time I have travelled to the Hornets and everyone was as welcoming this time as they were the last. Thank you to the kind ladies on the gate who went out of their way to ensure my camera gear was safe.

Sully, Bournville’s always friendly (and free) match photographer.

Latest News